In response to statements made by former coach Justin Langer, the captain of the Australian team, Pat Cummins, made it quite plain on Tuesday that there were “no cowards” on the squad.
Last week, Langer lashed out against the unnamed “cowards” who leaked against him in the lead-up to his resignation this year after widespread reports in the Australian media, citing sources, about his intense coaching style. Langer’s resignation came after widespread reports in the Australian media, citing sources, about his intense coaching style.
Nick Hockley, the chief executive officer of Cricket Australia, refuted Langer’s assertions and placed his support behind the playing group. Similarly, Cummins vigorously defended his team’s locker room.
Pat Cummins told reporters in Perth on the day before the first test match against the West Indies, “There’s no cowards in an Australian cricket team, not ever,” and he added that he was “disappointed” that Langer had dredged up the topic. The match is scheduled to take place on Wednesday.
“I think it’s regrettable that sometimes the emphasis gets pulled to situations that are taking place off the field, but it hasn’t really harmed our team,” the speaker said.
Since then, Langer has somewhat recanted his previous statements, claiming that he was not talking to players when he used the word “cowards.” Cummins has stated that he appreciates this move on Langer’s part.
“I think he had a think about it and cleared it, so I thank him for that,” said the captain at Perth Stadium, which bears Langer’s name on one of the stands. “I think he had a think about it and clarified it,” said the captain.
“But we are incredibly happy of how we have performed over the past year, how we have fronted up, how we have played, and how we have carried ourselves,” Players have every right to be proud of their accomplishments.
After being unable to garner the public support of important players and following contentious contract negotiations with Cricket Australia, Langer resigned from his position in February and left the organisation.
Even though he led Australia to a 4-0 triumph over England in the Ashes in 2021 and then to glory in the Twenty20 World Cup the same year, the only extension that was granted to him was for six months. This made him very upset.
The previous week, he made a bombshell allegation about himself in a podcast by saying, “Everyone was being pleasant to my face but I was reading about this stuff, and half of it… It was impossible for me to believe that was what was being reported in the news.
“A significant number of journalists make use of the word’source.'” In my opinion, you should replace that word with “coward.” Not a source is what a coward would claim.”
Cummins emphasised that there was no “ill-will” between the two of them and that he was eager to get up with Langer. Langer is scheduled to commentate on the two-match West Indies series.
“I’m looking forward to meeting him. It’ll be great because he’ll be commentating from here and the surrounding areas.”
On what is anticipated to be a surface that is both fast and bouncy, Cummins announced that Australia’s batting lineup for the first Test would be the same as what has been generally anticipated. Pace bowler Scott Boland and opener Marcus Harris would not be playing in the match.
There were no adjustments made to the top seven positions, thus Cummins, Mitchell Starc, and Josh Hazlewood will continue to lead the attack alongside Nathan Lyon’s spin.
Pat Cummins suggested that there was a good chance you could have made the choice a year ago.
We are in a really good spot since everyone has put in a lot of effort to prepare themselves physically and mentally for this series. Easy decision.”
The top-ranked Australian team is a heavy favourite, as the West Indies have not won a match on home soil in Australia in the past quarter of a century.